Mechanical Design Overview
By combining engineering skill and experience with a creative yet methodical approach we can take on the most challenging of mechanical design & engineering projects.
Mechanical design is a broad term that encompasses many discrete activities. Although we have a particular specialism in the field of the packaging of high-performance electronics, we are classically-trained mechanical design engineers who put functional performance at the centre of our work.
Our capabilities include (but are not limited to):
- Mechanical architecture
- Detailed mechanical engineering design & 3D CAD modelling
- Industrial Design
- Structural and dynamic mechanical analyses
- Thermal / fluid flow management & optimisation
- EMC & RF containment
- Tolerance studies, statistical tolerancing
- Studies to determine most cost-effective manufacturing process and volume break-even point
- Studies into Galvanic action to determine appropriate materials and finishes
- Preparation of manufacturing documentation
- Design for Manufacture & Assembly (DfMA) Assessments
- Supplier identification & liaison
- piece-part selection and procurement
- Prototype build using Rapid Prototyping & traditional methods
- Confidence / engineering test
- Post-development product Cost Reduction
Our modern computer infrastructure provides robust security for our clients Intellectual Property (IP) and features RAID drives, centrally distributed anti-virus definitions and a robust off-site back-up facilities. We utilise a number of on-line tools, such as proprietary web share facilities and customer-specific secure FTP accounts to underpin a fully collaborative design process with customers and suppliers alike.
Design & Engineering tools
We have an extensive range of design and analysis software in-house, ensuring that we are in sync with your tool suite and that we leave you with native CAD geometry that you can edit, featuring:
- 3D Mechanical design & 2D documentation using SolidWorks, Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire & CREO software suites
- Thermal Management using SolidWorks Flow Simulation Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software and FLOTHERM® by Mentor Graphics
- Structural Analysis using tools within Pro/ENGINEER Premium and ANSYS Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software
- Design file sharing via eDrawings and Adobe’s 3D.pdf (link to an example part)
- Collaborative meetings through the use of teleconferencing & internet-based screen-share collaboration tools such as Skype, MS Teams, Yuuguu and PowWowNow.
- Design for Manufacture & Assembly (DfMA) using methodologies from Lean Design and Boothroyd Dewhurst Inc. (BDI)
- PRINCE2 practitioners for project management
- Design for Six Sigma (DfSS) black belts, trained by SigMax Solutions