Design for Manufacture & Assembly (DfMA)
Having first-hand experience of working within a manufacturing environment we understand what needs to be considered during the design, the preparation of manufacturing data packs and transfer of a product to volume manufacture.
We have detailed knowledge of best-practice manufacturing process capability and assure that the design is optimised to avoid any unnecessary process steps / operations, set-ups, tooling or inspection stages. We can also help with prototyping, low volume production and quality control can help you source components and suitable manufacturers.
Ideally we seek to engage manufacturing at an early stage in the development process to ensuring that all needs are understood and met, through:
- Maximising usage of Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA) methodologies to minimize part assembly times/costs.
- Identification of process capability strengths and weaknesses
- Consideration to existing preferred parts and customer Approved Vendor Lists
- Requirements with respect to detailed manufacturing / inspection documentation
- Structuring product coding and documentation to suit assembly requirements and sequencing
- assisting with resolving supplier quality issues and providing support to production staff during the New Product Introduction (NPI) process.
Our time spent in the manufacturing sector means that we have a network of Contract Manufacturers and suppliers that we can recommend if our clients are very early in the design for manufacture process.