Thermal Analysis and Thermal Management Services
The drive to pack ever more features and functionality into equipment, combined with the need for faster systems with higher throughput capacity, comes an increase in power density. This places ever more importance on the thermal performance of the housing and components, which might once have been all but overlooked.
Almost all systems we work on today require a degree of thermal analysis to verify that maximum permissible component temperatures will not be exceeded. Often thermal management in one form or another is required to improve thermal performance and provide more acceptable margins.
Thermal analysis and thermal management, using industry-leading CFD software such as FloTHERM and SolidWorks Flow Simulation, forms an integral part of our design services and begins at concept phase. The powerful 3D computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software predicts airflow and heat transfer in and around electronic equipment, from components and boards through to complete systems and ultimately is used to predict critical temperatures such as component junction temperatures or surface “touch” temperatures. The predictions are then compared to permissible maximums and the design improved if necessary.
We also offer thermal analysis and thermal management as standalone services, and can import geometry from many leading CAD packages to save re-modelling.
Amongst the services we provide are:
- Practical cooling of electronics: conduction, natural convection, forced convection
- Complete Thermal Analysis and Thermal Management solutions: Architecture to implementation
- Empirical methods, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Water cooling of electronics
- Fluid flow optimisations: pressure drops and system balancing
- Analysis from component, through card/module to system Level
- Transient (time domain) simulations
- Mixed flow analysis
- Consultancy on reliability, debris filtration and acoustic noise
- Performance trade-offs with EMC, reliability and cost
- Verification by experimentation / test where possible